Bad news for Sam’s Club members! The Walmart-owned warehouse club has abruptly shut down multiple locations across the country, according to local media reports.
Closures have reportedly taken place in Tennessee, Georgia, New York, Ohio, Indiana, Maryland, Texas and elsewhere — without warning.
Sam’s Club closing some locations across the country
Clark.com emailed Sam’s Club to ask for a complete list of the stores that are being shut down — as well as an explanation — but we are waiting to hear back from the retailer.
Here’s how Sam’s Club is responding to people on its official Twitter account:
“After a thorough review of our existing portfolio, we’ve decided to close a series of clubs and better align our locations with our strategy. Closing clubs is never easy and we’re committed to working with impacted members and associates through this transition.”
Here’s a list of closing Sam’s Club locations, based on local media reports:
- 8801 Old Seward Hwy, Anchorage, AK
- 69 Pavilions Dr, Manchester, CT
- 355 FL-436, Fern Park, FL
- 5135 S Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa, FL
- 2994 Turner Hill Rd, Lithonia, GA
- 501 N Randall Rd, Batavia, IL
- 21430 S Cicero Ave, Matteson, IL
- 1055 McHenry Rd, Wheeling, IL
- 808 S Illinois Rte 59, Naperville, IL
- 3015 W 86th St, Indianapolis, IN
- 9598 Cortana Pl, Baton Rouge, LA
- 9750 Reisterstown Rd, Owings Mills, MD
- 81 International Dr S, Budd Lake, NJ
- 2649 Erie Blvd E, Syracuse, NY
- 720 Fairmount Ave, Jamestown, NY
- 700 Elmridge Center Dr, Rochester, NY
- 1600 Marketplace Dr, Henrietta, NY
- 4825 Marburg Ave, Cincinnati, OH
- 9570 Fields Ertel Rd, Loveland, OH
- 1805 Getwell Road, Memphis, TN
- 1615 S Loop W, Houston, TX
- 901 S Grady Way, Renton, WA
- 1101 Outlet Collection Way, Auburn, WA
- 13550 Aurora Ave N, Seattle, WA
The locations on this list no longer show up on the store finder tool at SamsClub.com.
FOX 13 in Memphis reports that employees were called in for a meeting January 11 and told the store was closing. Associates were apparently caught by surprise — and so were customers.
A sign on the door read, “Sam’s Club is CLOSED today. We regret any inconvenience.”
Meanwhile, Walmart announced Thursday that it’s boosting its starting salary for U.S. workers to $11 an hour.
This Sam’s Club news comes after Macy’s, Sears, Kmart and other major retailers have already announced 1,000 store closings for 2018. See the full list here.
This is a developing story. Check back with Clark.com for updates!